Friday, January 4, 2008

Simple pleasures

I got up this morning at 05:30 A.M.. By 10:00 A.M. I was bored. I decided to walk to the grocery store. I had a list. I wanted wheat germ, coffee, broccoli, and tofu. I made the mistake of reading the supermarket flyer. Chickens $0.69 per pound. I went to the meat aisle and there they were: Beef bones! Not the smarmy marrow bones but real beef bones with beef attached. One thought raced into my mind: Beef Stock and therefore: French Onion Soup! I ended up with carrots, celery, chicken, 2 lbs of butter, beef bones, milk, a batarde, and coffee. No gruyere because they only had domestic.
I got home and went to put the groceries away and then I realized: I have become a food junkie! There was no room in the refrigerator or the freezer. I grind my own hamburger, I make stocks continually, I make my own bread, I buy nothing pre-prepared. I have become a food snob!
Recently one of my neighbors invited me for dinner. She is recently divorced, alarm bells went off all through my head, and is pleasant company. I asked her if she was French and she said she wasn't. I declined the invitation. I can make a better meal at home and I have learned that only French women can do justice to a meal.
The love of my life was French. She came into the kitchen one day and there I was making six quarts of beef stock. She immediately went to the market and got six pounds of assorted onions. I think the only reason she tolerated my idiosyncracies was the beef stock. That is when I learned that if you are walking through the kitchen when a French woman is making soup: KEEP MOVING!
The simple pleasure. I wasn't feeling particularly happy when I went to the market. I saw those beef bones and my whole spirit brightened. Simple pleasures for simple people.
An hour ago the food junkie part kicked in. I looked at the stove and realized that I had beef stock, turkey stock, chili, and pasta cooking. I did this while I was reading a recipe for tomato pie. Will this never end?

No comments: