Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Peamony

Here I am, up at one o'clock in the morning after a full nights sleep. I went to bed early to read and dozed off almost immediately. The cycle of pleasant dreams, awakening, and going back to sleep and dreaming pleasantly again repeated itself. The first dream was one of peace and companionship. The second was one of peace and harmony with the world around me. I awoke with such a good feeling that I lay in bed for a while, warmed by the rosy glow of contentment. The second dream was about animals and the love they seem to radiate. Reason tells me that we don't know if animals really give love. It may just be a response to food and warmth and petting. I don't care what it is, it just feels so good. Animals are very similar to people. They respond to love and they respond to aggression or meaness. There are times however, when they initiate contact so it can't be all response.
Animals also change their behavior as they age. The adorable clumsyness and questing of a kitten is complimented by the dignity and conservation of motion of an old cat. The yapping bounciness and cuddling of a puppy will be followed by the patience and warmth of an old dog. I don't know about cows but I have always had an affinity for those gentle creatures with their moist noses and mesmerizing eyes and the restrained strength of their huge bodies. That goes for cows, not bulls. I had an experience with a bull once and I don't think that there is a stronger, more fearless, more courageous creature on this planet. Worship of bulls was a common thing in older days, when mankind paid more attention to the world around them because the CRT had not been invented. The Minoans and the Egyptians were both isolated from aggression by geography but worshipped the strength and composure of the bull.
Today we have fashion designers and movie stars and singers and Congress and financial wizards on Wall Street. We have come a long way, from worshipping bulls to worshipping bullshit. A little bit of the peace and harmony just made its way back to peace and harmony land, as the banked coals of my ire just spread some of their resurgent heat through my thoughts. Where are the Persons from Porlock when you need them?

No comments: