Friday, November 21, 2008

H.I.S., lovingly

Here I Sit, up before dawn, thinking peaceful thoughts. My mind wanders to my daughters. A lovely bouquet for my mind to treasure. Three individual flowers, each with its own unique loveliness and tenderness, each with its own beauty and wisdom beaming out for all to see. Together they form a bouquet unmatched in the world. A sense of peace washes over me, a Father knowing that all will be well with his children. It is a warm reassurance to know that whatever may happen, they will be able to handle it. They are not just individually strong. Together the strength of their stems form a bulwark against the vagaries of life. The strife that sometimes surfaced as sibling civil war when they were younger has disappeared and they are a unit. A unit separated by distance and choices but melded together by respect and love. The warmth and the peace of these thoughts overwhelms any worry about the future. Blessed is the Father of daughters.
I think of my Father, The Father of two sons. He slept with his car keys in his hand under the pillow. I once asked him "Dad, Paul and I would stay out until two in the morning and drag ourselves up in the morning and you never asked us what we were up to. Why?". He replied "I didn't want to make you lie to me.". He was a gentle and wise man. He deserved daughters but never got them. He got sons and deserved better.

No comments: