Sunday, November 30, 2008

Mangia

Yesterday my brother and my sister-in-law came over for a belated thanksgiving dinner. I was so happy to see them and thrilled to feed them. I took out all of the stops, used all of the nefarious gadgets that I have for cooking, and we had a nice pleasant uneventful day. It was raining when they left and I felt it would be a good time for a nap. As I was walking down the hall I noticed how much that I was looking forward to the nap. Good company, good food, full belly, no pressing deed to accomplish, and nap headed my way, does life get any better than that? It feels so good to have people to feed and then just ease into the rest of the day. Beaujolais Nouveau goes very well with Turkey, not so well with Stilton or chocolate cake. I hope that they will come for Christmas dinner, I see roasted stuffed goose in the future.

3 comments:

Ericka said...

oh, my gosh, you're going to make a goose? yum!

sandwhichisthere said...

Yes, the local market has frozen goose and frozen duck. I have never made a goose before but I am looking forward to it. The goose gives off copious fat. That will mean that cassoulet is a possibility if I can be ubdisturbed for a day, find some rabbit, and survive the amount of wine it will take to bake for twelve hours. The wine doesn't go into the cassoulet, it goes into the cook. I think a nice pouilly-fusee would go with the goose. I will probably only be able to afford pouilly-fume. The holidays are looking good.

Cap'n Slappy said...

How dark is goose meat? I've never had it, but they reproduce really fast and I've thought of raising them(ducks are ready to butcher at six weeks, and they basically forage and eat grass, you don't really have to feed them). There's a lot of Toulouse geese(the big grey and white ones) for sale here. But I'm not wild about duck- is it pretty much the same?