Sunday, December 30, 2007

Prognostradamian Moment

I have had a vision of the future. In the future I see TURKEY! I am going to be eating turkey for some time to come and then will come turkey stock and my inevitable Soup of Doom. Some people can throw out leftovers, they are blessed. I can't bring myself to throw out food. I have to use up what is there before I make something new. Expiration dates are just for the faint of heart. I have enough chicken livers in the freezer to make rumaki for the masses of China. Wouldn't it be nice to have enough resources to open up a soup kitchen and just cook my brains out. Of course, judging by my soup experiences, it would be the only soup kitchen in the land with no waiting and I am sure the EPA would have something to say about my soup.
My brother has commented on my problem. He said "It's easy to see you were a child of the Depression.". I am not a child of the Depression but I can remember when times were lean. I remember ketchup sandwiches, mayonnaise sandwiches, even mustard sandwiches. It is a sad commentary on how the world has changed that when my Mother would bake a whole haddock, and they were big back then, we knew that times were tough as fish was much less expensive than beef. To get a whole haddock now a person would need a co-signer.
My Father had a very rigid policy on bills. Food shopping was done before the bills were paid. I never realized how well we ate until I started going to other people's homes for dinner. Only the Italians seemed to outshine my Mother's creativity with simple, inexpensive foods. I remember creamed salt cod-fish, over new potatoes, very fondly. There was always a pot of stew or soup cooking on the back burner. One of the many things I admire about the French is that they never throw anything out. Everything eventually makes it into soup. If you are walking through the kitchen when a French woman is making soup, KEEP MOVING. Be sure to return in a few hours, you are in for some incredible soup. The French and Italians know how to live.
My heritage is Swedish and Irish. Lutefisk and Finnan Haddie, what a heritage. There is an old adage
The Danes live to eat,
The Nowegians eat to live,
The Swedes eat to drink.
Then there is the Irish cookbook, it has only one recipe:
Boil four gallons of water,
Throw all of the food into the pot,
Drink beer until the water has all boiled away.

No comments: