Thursday, December 27, 2007

Grey

Quiet it is and grey is the day. It is reassuring that there is no reason to go outside today. The forecast is for rain, freezing rain, and possibly snow. Today I will roast the turkey and possibly, once again, attempt to vanquish the demon of pie crust. The apples need a new home as the have gotten soft from lack of exercise. While the turkey is roasting, it will be cocoa and the Illiad. I have to finish one of the books. They are lying on the floor, their open pages staring at my shame. This epicurean life is pleasing.
How life turns out is never as was anticipated. All the years of hoping for better things turn into hoping for no change. This life is not opulent or thrilling but plain and satisfying. I no longer hope for things to get better, only that they don't get worse. "Ease on down the road.". Life is not reaching a goal, it is the journey to a goal. It is more satisfying to roast turkeys and pies, sit with a warm blankie and cocoa, and nap. It is too dangerous to step out the front door, Bilbo was right.

1 comment:

Kristen said...

Oh, I see! You're saving the turkey for yourself! Hee hee. Just kidding. Those hot dogs were amazing.

And, I've decided that that chocolate cake is evil. I cut myself a huge hunk of it every afternoon, and at 2am, my heart is still racing from the caffeine and sugar. But I don't care. Must keep eating. So delicious.