Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Illiad

I am re-reading the Illiad. I watched the movie Troy on television and seemed to remember it differently than the movie depicted so, as another of my innumerable memory tests, I decided to re-read it. I don't think that Menelaus was killed at Troy and I am certain Agamemnon wasn't Orestes's life would have been much easier if that was so. So far memory is doing well. There are things that I am probably misinterpreting. It appears that the reference to Myrmidons is that they were women. This would have pleased Patroculus, no competition. I probably won't finish as my propensity for minutia has already arisen. There are 1186 ships, I counted them. Some ships had 120 men, some had fifty. Taking an average of eighty-five, this results in 100,810 Greeks. I think that Homer wasn't aware that his pants were on fire. One thing has come to mind. The problems of the Greeks were precipitated over the capture and treatment of the daughter of Chryses. Hmmm, crisis? This is what happens when a person has nothing to do and too much time to do it. I know that I won't finish, I am currently in the middle of four books.

No comments: