Saturday, December 29, 2007

Eyeless

The turkey got cooked. I forgot to take the stuffing out when I put it in the refrigerator. Today's crisis has been resolved. I was unable to find the reading glasses this morning and spent two hours looking for them. As usual, they were in plain sight. Considering that I only use three rooms and I didn't go out and no one came to visit, I was unable to use my usual excuse "Someone must have stolen them.". There is no reason to go outside today. It will be a day of eating and reading. I was very worried about the glasses and kept thinking of the Twilight Zone episode where the librarian is the last person on Earth and breaks his glasses. I really should find something to do but that is one of the great things about getting old, you don't have to do anything. I got all of my doing done when I was younger. I have failed at many things but have forgiven myself. Life is like baseball: You win some, you lose some but you dress for them all. You stand up to the plate each time and are thankful when you don't get hit by the ball. My baseball career was shortlived. I made the team in college. It was a small school and I made the team because they only had eight players. The coach became worried when he had to tell me "The stockings go inside the pants.".
I have absolutely no reflexes and had to start swinging at the ball when the pitcher was getting off of the bus. In the first at bat I got hit by the pitch and thought "Oh boy, this is an easy way to get on base.". It turns out that there is a silly rule that if you don't try to get out of the way, you don't get on base. The highlight of my career was a slowly growing bruise on my left side. It was then that I learned about life. You have a deep suspicion that you are going to get hit by the ball but you stand up to the plate anyway.

1 comment:

Johanna said...

I didn't post anything on myspace-it's basically network sort of like blogger-I was really mad and had been drinking and I pulled that post this morning-but nothing at all went on to the internet with anyone's name on it other than mine- that post can probably be found somewhere, but it doesn't have any negative information about anyone except me. But thank you for your advice, and I'm not really as mad this morning, and had I never looked around and found his crappy new band, I never would have known about the stupid benefit thingy. And,of course,his jerkitude is not new. And I remember what Kristen used to call him-it was Bummicle Jerk.