Friday, January 15, 2010

Whale-Mart

Yesterday my Brother took me to Wal-Mart. It is not just Wal-Mart, it is a Super Wal-Mart. They even have a grocery store. I saw the set of pots that I would like to have and they are stupendous and about one fifth the price of Allclad.
The grocery store was not impressive. They have the cheapest of most products and are all overpriced. The fresh produce was impressive but very overpriced. The meat was, for the most part, all Select grade. Select is below Choice and even then the meat was overpriced. They did have pig's feet and colossal frozen shrimp. The selection was incredible but the quality is not acceptable. I will stick with the little market here as everything there is of a higher quality, priced lower, and I know where everything is. I thought of the market my daughter took me to, Whole Foods. Everything there was of the highest quality and priced accordingly and the selection was even greater than Wal-Mart. They even had Italian Fontina. Stores provide what their customers demand. The demand in the Whole Foods area is for quality and diversity and the demand out here is not so discriminating. Still the little market that I go to tries the best that they can. They carry most of the products that Cook's Illustrated recommends and are reasonably priced. They don't have pig's feet but they have plenty of white bread. This is a very white bread community. They do carry Farmland bacon and Pacific beef broth and their private label is as good as IGA, which is very good. Very good priced cheaply is better than cheap priced not so cheaply. I spend about forty dollars a week on groceries and get almost everything that I can reasonably expect at Hannaford's. Maybe it is because the chain originates in Maine that they are so easy to get along with. People from Maine mind their business and keep their nose out of your's.

No comments: