Sunday, January 3, 2010

Bread

I made the bread again. It is wonderful how it always comes out so good and how easy it is. It is only kneaded fourteen times and comes out of the oven looking like it just came from a French bakery. I fried up some chicken and had chicken, rice, leeks, garlic, spices, herbs, and mushroom gravy.
There seems to be quite a bit of snow on the porch so today will be snow removal and thinking. I watch the squirrels leaping from branch to limb in this weather and I wonder how they survive the Winter. They don't seem to hibernate and there is no open water for them and no readily available food so I wonder how they survive. I try to do my part to help them but I don't keep at it regularly enough to make a difference.
I am thinking too much. Lately I have been wondering if there is a purpose to life. I have taken courses at school that seem to say that it is all an accident or a very long plan. I have thought about this for a long time and come up with, what seems to me, a reasonable explanation. Still, how can a miniscule creature, on a tiny rocky and wet planet, understand the Universe. How can I possibly understand or determine what happened billions of years ago? I still remember Papagianos's explanation "What I am teaching you today is proven fact. Twenty years from now scientists will say how could they have believed such nonsense.". So a tiny conglomeration of molecules on a tiny rocky wet planet wonders "What does it all mean?", "What matters?".
We stay alive because other things die. Be it a chicken or an onion, we stay alive because something else died. What will stay alive because we will die? Purpose, Plan, or Pandemonium, what does it all mean and is there a meaning? Even the yeast dies so that I might have bread. It doesn't do this on purpose, it didn't plan to end up in an envelope, it just happened. Do we just happen? Are there strings attached to everything? Twenty years from now will they say "How could he have believed that Stringy Nonsense?".
Too much thinking, and what is thinking anyway? Maybe Pittsburgh knows, Uxbridge certainly doesn't.

No comments: