Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Stawful

Once more I made beef stew. Once more the stew is awful. I know what I did wrong. I did something the recipe cautioned me not to do. Telling a Swede not to do something, now there is a recipe for disaster! Why can't I make a decent beef stew? My Mother made wonderful beef stew among other things and she never used a recipe book for anything.
I can make all sorts of esoteric things and simple things but I can't make a decent beef stew. It comes out terrible just like all of the soups that I try to make. I guess that I should confine myself to Swedish and Italian recipes. They always seem to come out delicious. I have an Irish gene so I should be able to make beef stew. Irish Stew uses lamb for the meat so maybe that is the answer.
I have a new plan. It is not really a plan, it is more of a fervent desire. I will not state what it is as I am very superstitious and feel if I were to state it, it could never come true. Still, as I lay in bed at night before going to sleep, I think of how wonderful it would be. Nothing makes God laugh harder than a Man with a plan. I have let one person know about it. I told the wife of my friend from Bangaladesh about it and she wished me good luck. I think that she was just being polite, she and her husband are very polite, and smiled with just a tad of twinkle in her eye.
It is nice to know that there is some variety arising among the population of this town. I have never seen a black person in this town. There are lots of Frenchmen and Italians and Polish people here but the diversity is scant. There were lots of cloth mills in this town, that explains the French influence, and stone quarrys, that explains the Italians, and lots of hard manual labor to be done, that explains the Polish people but there is no extensive mix. In a town founded by Quakers, I would expect a more diverse population.
Still, diversity is not always a welcome thing. I put too many ingredients in the stew and that is probably why there is no harmony to the flavor.

No comments: