Monday, October 31, 2011

Caffiend

The forecast for tons of snow was wrong in this area. We got a few inches but the forecast for downed trees was correct. The power was out for several hours. I awakened about 6 A.M.. There was no power. That meant no coffee. I heated water with a candle placed under a small pot. The result was about one half of a cup of tepid coffee. The power came back on about 10:30 A.M.. Considering that it was a Sunday and the power was out all over the region, the power company did a wonderful job of restoring the power. I sat in the kitchen with the Sun pouring in through the window and read and sipped tepid coffee. The power came back on, acompanied by an accolade of beeps from all of the electronic things. There are so many things in life that now go BEEP. It used to be just the Roadrunner that went BEEP BEEP. It would be good to hear a healthy CLANG once and a while. It used to be that even if the power was out, the telephone would still work. The telephone company has its own power and batteries. None of the telephones worked during the outage as they all need to be plugged into a recepticle to work. I do miss the Plain Old Telephones that were black, could be dropped out a third story window and still work, and had a dial instead of going beep beep. I also miss Carmallow Bars and Welch's Fudge, Pizza that was not buried under two inches of goop, and the old L.L. Bean catalogue, the one that had fishing flies and down jackets that were good to thirty below. I miss Casanov's Bulkies and Nepco knackwurst and Orange Crush in the brown bottle and the big Flexible Flyer sleds. I think that I miss my sanity most of all.

No comments: