Sunday, October 9, 2011

Frost Free

The frost has not come yet. There were a few nights when the temperature got down as low as thirty-five degrees but the last few nights have been fairly warm. The days are in the seventies and the nights are in the high forties. This is heaven! I went for a long walk yesterday. The Sun was shining, there was a gentle breeze, and all was right with the world. I stopped at the grocery store (Suprise, surprise) and picked up mushrooms, leeks, beef broth, two kinds of cheese, and beef. I am going to try Swedish Meatballs again. While I was dawdling in the meat aisle, I noticed that they had flat-iron steak and short ribs of beef. Those things are perfect for grinding up into hamburgers. I will try to walk back today and purchase both. Topped with American cheese and a thin slice of onion and resting on a nicely toasted bulky roll, heaven will be inside as well.
One thing that I was sad to notice was that the color in the leaves is not there this year. Even the sugar maples are just brown and pale yellow. They are still crunchy underfoot. So this Fall will not be the riot of color we are used to but more like a bowl of Corn Flakes.

No comments: