Monday, October 3, 2011

Proscription

It has been in the news that the government of the United States of America authorized the killing of an American citizen without a trial. This event had to be approved by the President of the United States. I have read all of the arguments which try to justify such an action. The man lied about his place of birth in order to get more money for college. If lying on a financial aid application warrants the death penalty, the Ivy league may experience a marked decline in alumni. The chuckles of Cornelius Sulla must be echoing through the halls of the White House.
The rape of America began on 9/11. It was on that date that we lost our innocence. I have no answer to the troubles that terrorism has brought on to this country. We lost much more than two buildings and their occupants. I lament the diminuation of the pride that I have in being an American. Where we are headed I don't know. I fear for my children and my grandchildren.
When the Devil comes to the door, we have only the Law to protect us. Are we to suffer the same fate as Thomas Moore? Alas poor Liberty, I knew her well. So Mr. Terrorist, you will never understand the root of the antipathy I feel towards you. It is not so much the death and destruction you have heaped upon the world, it is the defiling of the blindfolded Lady with the scales in her hand. Timothy McVey hides behind her robe. Sirhan Sirhan hides behind her robe. Charles Manson is staring up into her her robe. They had better all be listening for the sound of a drone.

No comments: