Thursday, October 20, 2011

Destructo

Three days ago the landlord's son knocked on the door with a plunger in his hand. He said that he came to unplug the toilet. I told him that the toilet wasn't plugged up. He asked for a cigarette. I made the mistake of letting him in. The camel's nose was now under the tent. He noticed that there was a small amount of water at the base of the toilet. I had just finished mopping and must have missed a spot. He took the toilet off of its mounting. He was wearing one of those seventy-five dollar Home Depot tool belts with just a hammer in it. He had busted off the toilet mounting bolts and did not have another wax ring to replace the one that is always destroyed when you remove a toilet. He sent his Father off to Home Depot to get the parts. I made the mistake of offering him a cup of coffee. He noticed that the water in the bathroom sink was turned off. I told him that it was because the faucet drips and the sink does not drain. He turned the water back on and went and got some nuclear drain cleaner and poured it into the bathroom sink. I told him that I didn't think that the bathroom drain was the problem because the kitchen sinks, which are on the same drain line, have not drained in four years. My Father used o tell me "Nils, the only time you should open your mouth is to change feet.". He went to the cellar and got some drain cleaner that you need to be wearing a Haz-Mat suit to use. He poured it into the kitchen sinks. It is still there. It was then that he told me that he was a plumber for three years. I suspect that I know who installed the plumbing here. He left and may be back today.
The status now is: 1. Toilet is backed up and now actually leaking at the base.
2. Bathroom faucet is now happily dripping away.
3. Kitchen sinks are half full of a toxic brew.
Before he left he told me that he was going to fix the porch stairs. I may soon need a parachute to get down. He noticed the leak in the kitchen ceiling I told him that his Father has been aware of the leak since April first.
The man is a walking disaster. My Brother diagnosed the drainage problem months ago. The sinks drain line was installed horizontally which is not right to do. My Brother is amazing. He tunes up his own oil burner, he installs ducts to combat his ice dam problem. He put a new floor,ceiling, and walls in his kitchen and is building new cabinets. During the recent flooding, he rigged up a bilge pump in his cellar to run off of a car battery in case the power went off. When am I going to learn to listen to him and avoid "Mack and Meyer for Hire"?
As much as I dislike moving, the time may be coming. The only thing that handles water that is still working is the tub. Yesterday I did dishes in the tub.

No comments: