Sunday, October 2, 2011

At Last

Sweater weather is here at last. There are bodings of a very cold Winter. The squirrel's tails are very bushy and the other day I saw a wooly bear caterpillar with a very wide brown stripe. These may be very unscientific ways to predict the weather but they are as relevant as any long term forecast I have ever encountered.
The first frost cannot be too far away. I will have to pick what remains of the tomatoes whether they are ripe or not. I have bananas and a paper bag so ripening them should not be a problem.
For the first time in my life I think that I am experiencing loneliness. I hesitate to go to the Senior Center for some social interaction I will go there tomorrow for a flu shot but it makes me uncomfortable to go there. When you walk in you feel like a steer at an auction. All of the women sit checking you out. There are not many men there at all. The administrators urgently try to sign you up for the meal program. I have seen their menus. I think that Gerber does all of their cooking.
Yesterday I made sausages with tomato gravy. The gravy contained a great deal of garlic, fresh sliced mushrooms, hot cherry peppers, sliced red and green peppers, onions, basil, oregano, and crushed red pepper. This topped bucatini and was topped with a great deal of grated Asiago. Such a meal at the Senior Center would induce mass apoplexy. Their idea of spicy is chicken with ranch dressing. "A Pox on Your Tastless Porridge.".
I am not easy to get along with and I never have been. I'd better get used to the loneliness. It is better than eating mush and engaging in meaningless conversation designed to offend no one and interest no one. I do miss talking with my children. From the time that each of them were very young, I found their opinions and thoughts relevant and stimulating. They think before they speak and think while they are speaking. They get these characteristics from their Mother. All that they will ever get from me is my cook books when I am gone.

No comments: