Sunday, September 25, 2011

Tales from the Larder

Yesterday my Brother took me to the grocery store. Enough food was purchased to hopefully last a month. Knorr stocks are being heavily advertised on television but they were not in the store.
Today in Netscape's What's New they listed "Ten Bad Foods that are Good for You". The foods are corn, potatoes, one egg a day, skinless chicken thighs, coffee, peanut butter, spaghetti and meatballs, avocados, and burritos. I have never had an avocado or a burrito but all of the rest are constantly on the menu. I am told that red wine is also good for you and I do indulge in a glass of ruby port almost every day.
Not on the list were two of my favorites, Italian sausage and cheeses. I could easily cut back on the sausage but the cheeses never. Cheese is milk's bid for immortality. The French, the Lords of the Table, have fifty different kinds of cheese. Cheese must have something to do with the French Paradox. They finish each meal with fruit, then cheese, then a green salad, then a lot of wine. The French eat foie gras, pate with pork fat, oodles of cream, easily a loaf of white bread a day, and have the lowest rate of heart problems in the world. I am sure that they only do these things to infuriate the English, a pastime they never seem to tire of.

No comments: