Thursday, September 1, 2011

Moving Day

It took the squirrels about two minutes to adapt to the new feeder location. I am going to have to find out if squirrels hibernate. Squirrel food is running about forty dollars a month and I am sure that will increase as the weather gets colder. If they hibernate, that would ease the burden on the budget. If they don't, I will bear with the increase. I seem to have an empathy for them. Alone, sleeping out in the cold, worrying where the next meal is coming from, I have been there but things are different now and I am thankful for it. I wish that I had more resources and could help the local food pantry. It seems evil that our government is advocating turning corn into fuel for automobiles when people are hungry in this country. This policy has only driven up the price of so many food items. Someone has gotten their priorities confused. The only way that I can see to stop the avalanche of fuel consumption and its inherent problems is to allow gasoline to go to fifty dollars a gallon and give farmers a large discount on it.
The Amish seem to be doing quite well in their lives. Food and clean water and clean air are necessary for life, SUVs are not. Our society may be heading for collapse. There are theories that the Roman Empire collapsed because of lead drinking water pipes and pewter drinking vessels.
If the environmental quagmire we live in continues, there may come a time when we look to the Amish for advice on prosperity instead of Warren Buffet. A full belly is more comforting than a full wallet. Someday we may be forced to chew on the wallet while the Amish are chewing on chicken and dumplings. Food or fuel oil, take your pick!
That is all from the Country Curmudgeon.

No comments: