Monday, January 17, 2011

Soba

I finally got my hands on some soba noodles. I got both kinds, the plain and the buckwheat. I have always been very very fond of them. Yesterday was soba noodles with crispy pork and mushrooms and onions and garlic and peppers and cherry peppers and broth. It was a nice soup. Yesterday was a day for such soup because I have a cold. I have the sniffles and a stuffy nose and a nagging cough. The cherry peppers helped the symptoms.
I don't know how I got a cold. I don't go anywhere and I don't do anything. Whenever I go out, I wash my hands immediately upon returning. I am fastidious about never touching my fingers to my eyes or nose. Still, the cold finds a way in. "Silly mortal, we cold germs have been around a lot longer than you pitiful humans.".
Today I will go through my usual cold fighting routine. It may be shorter than usual as I only have about a half gallon of bleach left. I go through a lot of bleach each month. The smell of bleach reminds me of when I lived with my parents. The smell of bleach permeated the whole house, especially the kitchen. My Father would mix cold water and bleach for the final rinse of the dishes.
Just speaking of the smells of my Mother's kitchen reminds me that I have not completed one of my hopes. I have to, once more, get her recipe for American Chop Suey from my Brother. He has told me it inumerable times but I have never written it down and my memory is now quite fragmented on any thing that has occured within the last ten years.
This reminds me of a Saturday Night Live sketch where President Reagan was asked about the Iran-Contra incident and he stated that he didn't remember anything about it. The tag line was "Mr. President, the next time you sell weapons to people the call us The Great Satan, for God's sake write it down!".
So today will be more hot spicy soup and sitting and feeling sorry for poor poor pitiful me. The former is new, the latter is all too familiar around here.

No comments: