Monday, January 3, 2011

Bracing

Yesterday I went for a walk. There was no necessity for the walk but I felt that it was time to blow the dust off of me. The Sun was shining and the ice was melting but a bitter wind was blowing. My thoughts turned to O.E. Rolvag's book. I also thought of the Winter that I was working outside in upstate Michigan. The waterfall was not iced up but the wind seemed to find every opening in my coat. I even bypassed the library. As I was passing Riverview, I thought "Well, any port in a storm.". The ice on the sidewalks was treacherous. There was a layer of meltwater on top of the ice and negotiating it required small steps and arms out for balance.
It was refreshing to walk in such weather. I have always been more comfortable with cold weather than hot weather. It's time to load up the longboat and go and pillage a few monasteries. Monasteries wouldn't get pillaged if they hadn't accumulated so much nice glittery stuff. Nobody wants a boat full of turnips and sackcloth. How they get so much shiny stuff is simple. Father Riordan once told me "You can't take it with you but you can send it on ahead.". Simple is a keyword in this procedure.
The score is now Nemesis 1, N 0. It is time to pick myself up, dust myself off, and start all over again.
Today will be baking and cooking and looking out the window at the cold. I got enough cold yesterday and the seed catalogues are whispering their siren call.

No comments: