Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Meatain

There is now a mountain of meatballs in the sauce. There is enough sauce and sausages and braciole and pork tenderloin and meatballs and mushrooms and pepperoncini to feed the Third Marine Division or one hungry Italian family. It all amounts to about eight quarts and is reposing in the refrigerator. Luckily I have more pasta than the Ronzoni family does. It is not hard to predict what the menu is going to be for a long, long time. Someday I am going to learn to cook for just one, (sure I am). I will freeze some but I don't know how all of those meats will react to freezing.
The Illiad has a most interesting concept. The concept that prayer follows sin and avarice and pride around the world, a grey, sad lackey to misdeeds. It reminds me of the Flip Wilson routine wherein the Devil tells the minister "Without me, you wouldn't have a job.". People pray for forgiveness. "I am sorry, I didn't know, please forgive me.". What they are really after is mercy. "I knew it was wrong, I deserve to be punished but please have mercy.". Prayer for the wellbeing of others may be the only valid prayer. There is an obverse to almost every situation.
Christmas comes to mind. It is Jesus' birthday, so we all get presents. How would we feel if, on our birthday, all of our friends and relatives gave presents to Jesus instead of us? Dickens comes to mind and the child nestled in the robes of the future.
That a child anywhere in the world should be hungry while I enjoy the cornucopia of America, makes me think that I need mercy more than forgiveness. That a child in America should be hungry is a sin that, someday, someone will have to answer for. Wall Street got mercy, Main Street needs some compassion.

No comments: