Monday, December 20, 2010

Chili Disaster

Once again, chili that tastes like crap. I like to tell myself that I am a decent cook. I can make tomatoes over elbow macaroni (probably my very favorite dish) or tiramisu or Sachertorte. I can make Sunday Sauce or lasagna or cannolini.
As simple as chili or pot roast are, I can't seem to make either. I can't make a decent soup. I can make Yankee Chili.
Yankee Chili consists of tomatoes and onion and garlic and sauted beef and green peppers and lots of B+M baked beans. They are my last resort from now on. I refuse to fall back on Hormel, although I have fond memories of it when I was younger and living on my own. I bet that Joey and Chandler would understand.
Chicken, Rice, and Mushroom gravy will always be on the menu. Cream of mushroom soup is a staple of almost every American. The price of Cream of Mushroom soup never varies. It never goes up and it never goes down. Long ago America abandoned the gold standard. Now the dollar fluctuates all over the charts. Perhaps it is time to go on a new standard, the Cream of Mushroom soup standard. You can't eat gold and you can't eat silver or copper. Wouldn't it be nice to have a nest egg that you could eat when times get hard?

No comments: