Friday, December 17, 2010

Chili Day

Yesterday was a chili day. My Brother took me to the grocery store and I got some blade steak to make chili. While I was there I noticed that the store now carries ox tail. Visions of ox tail soup burst ino my mind but I passed on it. Ox tail is full of gristle and fat and bone. The store wants over four dollars a pound for it. The intensity of the flavor of the meat is astounding but four dollars a pound for something that requires so much work is a bit of a stretch for me.
So upon returning home, with a stop at the local comestible store, I started making the chili. The new recipe requires one bottle of lager beer. Unfortunately for the recipe, they don't make one packs. I didn't use store chili powder for the recipe. I got four kinds of chili peppers and whirred them up with some oregano and salt and pepper and cumin and chicken broth and a little flour, and a lot of onions and garlic. The flavor is so much different from store chili powder. There is heat but there is also a barely perceptible piquancy also. Three hours in the oven and the chili is now developing in the refrigerator. I brined the beans and they finally came out soft. I have long produced chili with rock hard beans so it appears that brining is the answer.
I will test the chili later today and probably add more cumin. To me, cumin is the flavor of chili. I always end up adding more. I will bake some corn bread and spend a chilly day having a chili day.

No comments: