Thursday, June 18, 2009

Here again

An old acquaintance stopped by this morning and won't leave. He has never been welcome but has often stayed a long time. I awakened when it was already light out. I went to sleep a little after nine last night. I was up so late because I was able to get the television working. This analogue to digital conversion was complicated but not impossible to subvert. 2 1/2 men was a particularly meaningful episode. It may have something to do with my visitor.
As I awoke I realized that the visitor was here. Locking the door has never helped. The day is cool and damp and there is no breeze, just a gray sky. I had coffee on the porch and could feel the crush of the visitor's presence. I have a paper that identifies the visitor, the paper says "Typical Scandinavian Depression.". I found some pictures of happier times but they only reinforced the invitations that were recently sent out to the visitor. So today I will deal with the visitor as I have always done. I will wander from meaningless task to mindless drivel. I will ask myself the questions that I have always asked myself and ponder my meaningless conclusions. The latest is the question "How would the world be different now if Grouchy had ridden to the sound of the guns?". I will clean and I will cook and I will walk. Sitting and reading is not an option, there is too much time for the old questions to barge in. Those questions that assault any feeling of well-being and lead to the cross examination and destruction of any feeling of self worth. I used to think of myself as a resident of an island, protected from the turmoil of the world by a moat I dug myself. I feel like a man I once read about. In 1939 he realized that the world was going to fall apart. He decided to get away from all of the ensuing craziness by moving to a South Seas island. He moved to Guadalcanal. I don't need to move. My visitor has brought the jungle and swamps and strife to me to help me decorate. Perhaps Wordsworth can help or Keillor. The arrival of their beauty and humor in my mind may help to drown out the clamor of the residents.

No comments: