Monday, June 29, 2009

Duck, duck. goose.

Yesterday was a banner day for me. I got to see my oldest daughter, my son-in-law, and my grandson. How three such wonderful people came together to form a family is a marvel to me. They are each different but share some qualities. They are each quiet, they are each so involved in the joy of living that it shines out from their faces, they are each so polite.
They arrived around noon time. My grandson has a new fishing rod and tackle box. He was anxious to try them out. He sat patiently as we sat at the table making small talk. Then we set off for a picnic.
We headed off for the Blackstone Canal and river. I noticed immediately that he got into his car seat and buckled all of the buckles himself. No whining, no complaining, just doing what had to be done. Just like his Father who endures the ride out to Yawnsville without complaining or whining, just doing what has to be done.
We stopped at the small store on the corner to pick up some things. Nutty-Buddies were in order and I watched my grandson peel the paper himself. He is becoming very self-reliant.
We parked and walked to a nice site that has a barbeque and table right by the river. Rix noticed that the spillway that runs beside the river was coated with a layer of algae. He said it looked like a golf green and tested it with a small rock. As we walked my grandson dropped his ice cream cone and I was not even aware of it. No whining, no crying, no "I want another one.".
We left the pile of things that I had brought with and headed to the river. He watched patiently as his Father tied the lure onto the line and tested the casting of his rod. No whining or begging, just a suggestion as to which lure to use. His Father took off the lure he had chosen and put Rix's choice onto the line. My son-in-law Alan was the only one in the group that has the patience required for fishing.
After a while we lit the fire and grilled some knackwurst. My grandson wanted to cook his on a stick. That soon lost his interest and all were cooked on the grill. I toasted some rolls and put a knackwurst into each one. As each one was done I handed it to my grandson. He took the first and gave it to his Mother. He took the second and gave it to his Father. I was very impressed by this. The boy has made the transition from self-centered child to a member of the family.
Soon my grandson announced that he had to do his business and didn't want to do it in the woods. My son-in-law put down his knackwurst and walked him to the car. No complaining, just doing what has to be done.
While they were gone I had the rare opportunity to talk to my daughter. She inquired about some family matters as did I. She commented on some personal matters that irk her, matters that she could easily avoid by being demanding but goes along with to maintain peace in her family. No whing or complaining, just doing what has to be done. The person that irks her had better beware, he has a reckoning in his future. She is a rare person, a person of gentleness and thought, with a soft exterior and a core of steel that most people are unaware of.
After a while we returned to my place. We sat, we talked. I showed my son-in-law a book that I have on loan from the library. A book on the cooking of Louisiana, something he is evidently very interested in. I watched as he looked over it with the intense concentration that I previously noticed in his son digging out dinosaur bones.
My daughter and her son and I went into the living room and there began the game of "Duck, duck, goose.". My grandson explained the rules, we played a bit, my grandson explained the new rules, we played some more, my grandson explained the new rules. It reminded me of Calvin's explaining to Hobbs the rules for reaching thirty-second base. My son-in-law joined us and my grandson explained the new rules to him.
After a while they had to go as they had another appointment. I loaded them up with the usual pile of things that I am sure that they don't want and they left.
One thing remains as a pleasant glow in my heart. While we were cooking the knackwurst, my grandson and I had a stick fight with small sticks, a battle he was obviously pleased to win. It reminded me of the days of miniature golf and bowling with my own daughters, two things that I am very good at. I always managed to just lose to them. It may be important to compete with other adult males but it never is to compete with your family. It is more important to stand in the background, offer guidance when it is appropriate, and let them learn how it feels to be a winner. Alan and Kristen are winners.
As I sit here typing, I am staring at a picture of my daughter. I sat with her yesterday and, as she was talking. I marveled at her beauty. I stare at the picture and marvel at her beauty. The beauty of her outside and the beauty of her inside. Quiet, polite, and strong as Damascus steel. Beautiful!

1 comment: