Friday, June 19, 2009

Denoument

It is amazing the difference a day can make. Yesterday my old nemesis the telephone rang and all of the clouds cleared away. Once again I have been forgiven. Once again I thought back to the sage advice my Father gave to me "Nils, the only time you should open your mouth is to change feet!". I went to bed early and read till quite late. I was up early, my friend the bird was up and bursting with song. I had coffee on the porch watching the bats making their final runs over the house. This must mean that there are mosquitos in the air and the bats are welcome to them. I became aware that I was singing. No special song, just an old Billy Joel song that I have always loved, "I'd rather run with the sinners than.......". I have always admired his music and lyrics. He has a pleasing combination of pathos and humor and common sense and a common touch that seems to elude many others.
This morning is overcast and cool and damp but the Sun is shining on me. I am looking forward to June 28th, a day that will burst with joy and laughter and tender thoughts and pride. The pride that a gardener feels when he realizes that he has produced the perfect rose. As far as the weather today goes, what more perfect weather can exist for a Svenska boy? It is a good day to dust off the longboat, swig down the mead, and head off to England for a day of pillaging and plunder. Who else would leave France to take up residence in England?
That brings up a strange thought. Two successful invasions, almost a thousand years apart. Normandy to England and then England to Normandy. Hitler must have never read a history book. William the Conqueror's successful sea voyage and Napoleon's disastrous trip to Moscow, "Those who do not read history are forced to .....".
As I try to peer into the rest of this year, "I see wonderful things.".

No comments: