Friday, February 22, 2008

Sifting

The snow this morning, 6 A.M., was falling from the sky as if it was confectioner's sugar being sifted. It has changed and is now like flaked coconut falling. I think there is going to be quite a lot of it. Yesterday was chili. I soaked the pinto beans for two days and was surprised that they only took three hours to cook. I am out of cumin so the chili was not as good as I anticipated. I use a lot of cumin, to me that is the taste of chili. It was still acceptable over rice. Someone once criticised me for serving steak and baked beans together because they were two proteins. There was no rice and that person didn't know about left and right handed protein molecules. Beans should almost always be served with rice. The exception is the sacred boston baked beans. That would be as bad as putting spices on a fresh piece of fish. Beurre noire is allowable.
Answer to the request for family history:
No male on the Swedish side has ever made it past sixty three. They all go from heart attacks, bang on the floor. This is not such a bad thing when you consider the alternatives. The women all live to be eighty, they feed the butter to the males.
The Irish side. The males seem to all die from alcohol related problems. The women suffer from lung cancer. Their Father was a steamfitter in the Boston Navy Yard and came home with asbestos on his clothes every night.
My state of being: I have had a stroke, two heart attacks, have high blood pressure, high cholesterol, I smoke, I drink, and I don't buy green bananas. I take Crestor for the cholesterol, it works, I take Plavix for the stroke and I take a little tiny pill for the blood pressure. It makes you urinate a lot and is very effective. I have sciatica, bad shoulders, and fading eyesight. The only thing that concerns me is that I am beginning to have memory related troubles. I have had good health all of my life and enjoy it now. Each morning when I wake up and see the ceiling, not grass roots, I smile. Yesterday is the past and immutable. Tomorrow is never guaranteed. Today is what counts. This was a one-time medical discussion, due to a request, and will never be repeated. There are changes in my life-style that I should make but I will never make them. Life without Heineken's, Harvey's Bristol Cream, and Marlboros would be much longer, SOOOOOO much longer! I could dive into the miasma of religion but Luther was right. A little sinning is good for a person. Knackwurst is not a sin but probably is somewhere. It is so good. I am sure that somewhere there is someone that never had it and therefore proscribed it, kind of like bacon.

No comments: