Wednesday, February 6, 2008

I love a mystery

Yesterday was chicken stock. Well, mostly chicken stock. I freeze all of the trimmings from food preparation. They all went into the stockpot yesterday. There were some mysterious meat scraps among the trimmings. I hope that it is not significant that Groundhog day is near. I now have about two gallons of stock. It came out pretty good. I discovered that I don't need to roast the bones and vegetables to get brown stock. I just make sure that the onion skins go into the pot and the stock is a nice light brown. I also put a chopped apple in for the first time. Using soy sauce instead of salt seems to make a difference. I realized that I have enough food to last the month. I only shop once a month. A whole month without grocery shopping. To some people that would be pleasant. To me that is looking forward to a dull, dreary month. The freezer is bursting at it's seams. There are three roast beeves, ten pounds of chicken thighs, eight quarts of chicken stock, and six quarts of tomato sauce. I have a quantity of frozen vegetables as they are easier to portion out than opening a whole can. Broccoli has become a staple in each meal.
My brother thinks the way I save scraps is ridiculous. Right, and having two rooms full of used computer parts is not! I read that there is a growing problem with trash in America, the landfills are overflowing. I would like the world to know that the Holmstrand boys are not part of the problem. I have a quantity of empty cans, especially tomato cans, any can that has a zinc lining is saved for transplanting tomato seedlings. The tomato cans are 106 ounce cans. I do tend to splurge on tomatoes. I need to find a use for used coffee grounds and egg shells. I should also find a use for Nils. Wearing out a library card should not be the hallmark of a lifetime.

1 comment:

Kristen said...

Hi, Dad! Just wanted to say how much I love reading about your food adventures. Even when I don't have time to leave a comment, I read your posts every day. We're making chicken pot pie tomorrow - one of my specialties. Love you!