Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Frosting

It must be cold outside. There is frost on the inside of the storm windows for the first time. It is also February in New England. The Cedar Waxwings are feeding on the cedar tree outside the window. I am sitting, drinking hot coffee, and have a light blanket wrapped around me. I need an inglenook. I should turn up the heat but that would go against a lifetime of cool temperatures in the winter. It would also negate the pleasures of hot coffee, a warm blankie, and warm slippers. It is a pleasure to be warm when it is cold. It is not a pleasure to be warm when it is hot or muggy. It is easy to be thankful for the good things that are. It is difficult to be thankful for the things that aren't. I am thankful for not being hungry, not being too cold, not having pain,and not having any dire news to contend with. I guess it is like being thankful that there are no tigers in the closet. I have been blessed with an easy life. I haven't had to work hard since 1968. Life is enjoyable but not exciting and that is fine. A tiger behind the door is exciting. I much prefer easy.

No comments: