Thursday, February 21, 2008

Bearded bread

I was up early again this morning. It was because I went to bed at eight P.M.. Walking was very pleasant this morning. It was cold but a nice cold. Cold has no power over long underwear and a down jacket.
I made bread yesterday and it was the best I have ever made, except for the dutch oven process. The taste was spectacular and I began to wonder why. I used the James Beard recipe. He calls for one tablespoon of salt to a pound of flour. There it was, my old nemesis SALT! No wonder it tasted so good. I remember the salt days fondly. I used to salt a piece of steak until the salt stopped getting wet and then put soy sauce on it. I was twenty-four then and in the best physical shape of my life. My blood pressure was 180/90. The Army doctor said the salt had to go. I replaced it with black pepper and was O.K. for thirty six years. It has reappeared in the form of white-cheddar Cheez-its. The Cheez-its must go so I can begin salting the soup. The love of my life once told me "Soup without salt is like kissing a man without a moustache!". I hope she meant that the man should have the moustache, not the converse. Bread and salt, the signs of peace and welcome.

1 comment:

Johanna said...

Do you have high blood pressure now? I am borderline, and have been working on the salt reduction myself, because I really don't want to go on medication.(I'm usually about 130/80, but my blood pressure is also being taken after I have sat with 3 small children in a waiting room for 3 hours) I would like to know family history, I didn't know this about you. Umm, I deleted my blog. There were issues. I'll talk to you in person. Everything's fine, sunshine and lemon pie,I just needed to supply less ammunition for somebody. Who is not my husband. Anyway, I love you, talk to you soon.