Sunday, February 3, 2008

Grocery store

I went to the grocery store today. Going to the grocery store is probably my favorite thing to do. My children can attest to that. I am so amazed at the country we live in when it comes to buying groceries. The variety and selection is so incredible and the prices are so low. I go once a month and never have to pay more than $200.00. This may be because I never buy anything premade, I am big on rice and pasta, although I do enjoy making my own pasta. I eat pzza but I make it at home. I bake beans at home and I make bread. I do spend a large amount on canned tomatoes, I mean a LARGE amount. I buy the cans that are 106 ounces. Today I will make a large pot of sauce. If I ever get rich, I would like to be the buyer for a food pantry.
My brother drove me to the market. He was nice enough to endure my walk through heaven. He shops at a discount supermarket and is constantly telling me that things are cheaper there. I like the local market becase I know where everything is. I went to his market once and was disappointed in the fresh produce. It was a little past it's prime and I was especially disappointed in the garlic. I buy a lot of garlic and it is important to me. The local market always has a special on some type of meat and, as I refuse to pay more than $1.00 a pound for any type of meat, I do well there. This week was roast size beef and chicken thighs. There is stock in the future. The cupboards are crammed, the refrigerator is overflowing, and all is right with the world. The biggest thing I miss about living in the city is the paucity of cheeses in this area. I am a cheese snob. It is silly to go all the way to Boston to get Italian Fontina. There is some nice bleu being made in Marion, Massachusetts. There is no decent Gruyere anywhere around here. How can one make a decent les halles onion soup without good gruyere? I read that France has fifty different kinds of cheese. Before becoming the buyer for a food pantry, I will need a passport and head to Savoy and val d'osta.

1 comment:

Ericka said...

Oh my gosh, we have to bring you to the cheese counter at PennMac here in Pittsburgh!! So many cheeses.....