Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Roasted

Yesterday I finished making the pot roast. It is O.K. but not as luscious as I anticipated. The failing was probably because I was unable to get chuck eye of the round and used another cut of beef that was less marbled. The gravy was not as intense as I expected. I have a dismal history with pot roast. I have another piece of beef that I will try. It is a rump roast and very well marbled. I hate to waste such a nice piece of beef on pot roast. It would be tastier as a roast beef but it is too big for me to use it as a roast and pot roast will last a long time refrigerated.
The green tomatoes have all been picked and the peppers have all been picked. The herbs are inside in pots and the lemon tree is also. They are resting on the air conditioners which are now on the floor just below the sunniest window. The fragrance of the basil and thyme and sage are pleasing and if the lemon tree manages to blossom, its fragrance will be welcomed. The coriander never produced any seeds and I do not like the flavor of it as an herb. It is too soapy.
Today I will pick the other basil leaves and the flat parsley. They dry nicely, although their flavor never approaches that of fresh. E's cherry peppers came in nicely and I may try to stuff them. I anticipate having ripe tomatoes for Christmas. The beef stock was O.K. but nothing to rave about. I have a surfeit of apples and should make a pie today. I will make one more attempt at pie crust but I know that I can never reach the stage of perfection that my eldest daughter does.

No comments: