Thursday, October 28, 2010

Onward and Downward

I am not sure about the dandelion greens. I will look them up and post the results. I am pretty sure that they are a Springtime treat only, as ramps are. This time of year they are a bit long in the tooth
You may be on to something regarding the pot roast. I have been using white wine and a mixture of beef broth and chicken broth. I may be browning the meat too much. The beef I have been using is probably too lean. With the new eating habits people are developing, it is harder and harder to find chuck in the market. I have a nice rump roast in the freezer which has a fine lot of marbling in it and is in the on-deck circle for pot roast. I may also use too many different vegetables and herbs. This problem might have much to do with the fact that the pot roast takes so long to cook and there is a rather large bottle of opened wine on the table. I have forgotten about K.I.S.S. when I cook.
Yesterday was a glorious day. I went for a walk. I made chicken parmesan, well not really parmesan more like chicken mozzarella with asiago cheese. I fry the chicken thighs in the big cast iron pan, dusting each side with garlic powder and chili powder and then putting on the cheese and blackening it under the broiler.

Dandelion Greens

Wilted Serves Four
Saute five slices of bacon. Remove bacon from pan. Drain on paper towels and crumble.
Heat two tablespoons of melted butter or bacon drippings or oil.
Add 1/4 cup of mild vinegar and 1 teaspoon of chopped herbs.
Add then bacon and 1 teaspoon of grated onion and 1 teaspoon of sugar.
Pour the dressing over:
1 head of lettuce separated; shredded cabbage;dandelion, young spinach,or other greens.

Serve at once in a warm bowl onto warm plates, garnish with sliced hard cooked eggs.

You can also serve dandelion greens mixed with other greens in a fresh salad. There is a caution about wild greens. Do not let them represent to great a proportion of the other greens as many of them contain oxylates and other substances that may be harmful if consumed in quantity. Do not use dandelion greens from the neighbor's lawn unless you have developed a taste for Scott's Weed Killer.
Speaking of oxylates, I know that spinach is very high in oxylates and that Popeye must have set the Guiness World Record for kidney stones.

Once the flowers have bloomed, dandelion greens become very bitter. That probably makes them very eligible for my pot roast.

No comments: