Friday, October 22, 2010

The Heat is On

I didn't make it to November first. When I got up this morning the temperature inside here was more than cool, it was downright frosty. I turned on the heat and went out into the kitchen to make coffee. I also turned on the oven to warm up the kitchen while I was waiting for the heat to warm up this place. As I did that I had to surpress a chuckle.
Many years ago, when I lived with her, Lucy would have the heat at a very low level. We had a self-cleaning electric stove. Those stoves get up to six hundred degrees when they are cleaning themselves. To help with the daily chores, I would clean the stove regularly. Sometimes I would clean it more than once a day. I would sit in the kitchen and wait patiently for the stove to unlock itself. Sitting, sipping coffee, with the Sun streaming in through the patio door, those are pleasant memories. Time spent with the Madonna of Middletown, that is an even more pleasant memory.
It has warmed up now. It will be a pleasant day for baking. Corn bread would go well with the soup. I will walk first to put an edge on my appetite.

1 comment:

Kristen said...

We didn't make it to November 1st either! When the temp was at 60 in the house at midnight last night, we caved.

Mmmm, soup. I think we're making pumpkin soup this weekend, along with roasted beet salad with gorgonzola. Life is good. :-)