Saturday, October 9, 2010

Falling

There has been a remarkable change in the weather. Fall is definitely here. The mornings are crisp, the days are warm, and the nights allow cuddling up under a soft warm blanket. There is condensation on the inside of the windows, there is glory in the profusion of colors of the maple trees, and it is a good time for walking.
I took the long walk yesterday. I am not sure how long it is but I think that it is several miles. The walk was not as easy as it used to be. I have been away from it too long. It was very pleasant though. The Sun warms the head and hands, the fallen leaves crunch beneath the feet, and the sky is an intense blue. It is the best season of the Northeast. Today may be the day to bake an apple pie.
Yesterday was pork chops Marsala. The dish was not very good as I added too many other ingredients. I forgot about KISS. The next time will be more Marsala and butter and less flour and broth.
I have closed up all of the storm windows and taken the air conditioner out of the window. I must have left at least two fruit flies in the kitchen as I now have quite a few flitting about in the kitchen. They will have to be shooed outside today.
Yesterday's walk included, of course, a stop at the market. I didn't need anything but I got a few things anyway so yesterday's meal included mashed potatoes.
I am beginning to wonder if eating only one meal a day is wrong. I only get hungry once a day and it seems a waste to eat when I am not hungry. I do not enjoy eating as much as I used to but I enjoy cooking even more than I used to. Perhaps I need to walk more and work up an appetite. I will try to do this as this weather is too good to be ignored. I will stumble along and watch the sky and the trees and the flyers from the market. It is a time for soups and stews and corn bread and good cheese. The clams that the market now has are surprisingly good. They are farm raised and have almost no sediment in them. It is titilating to think of a sea-clamboy, riding a sea horse, rounding up a herd of clams. "Get along little molluscs, we're bound for Wyoming.".

No comments: