Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Rain on Me

Yesterday I went for another walk in the rain. It reminded me of the Stevenson poem in "A Child's Garden of Verses". That collection also has "The Swing" which is probably the most powerful poem that I have ever read.
My feet got wet and I am sitting here with a small mountain of soggy tissues. I don't think that I have a cold but it can't be allergies. I am only allergic to two things and have been in contact with neither. I don't think that pollen can be a problem with so much rain.
I had to harvest most of the ripe tomatoes as they were beginning to split from all of the rain. Yesterday I made a fresh tomato sauce and it is quite good. I think that the quite good comes from the beef bones I put into it. They had been in the freezer for some time and slowly released their goodness to the long cooking sauce. Today I will try to clean out the freezer as I realized yesterday that there is very little room left in it and most of the things there are anonymous.
I think that the rain is over for a while. The Moon filled the bedroom with its light and cast shadows.
Yesterday I came upon a fat little squirrel chomping away on the cucumbers. It is just my luck to live near the world's only Vegan squirrel. I put a dish of walnuts and hazelnuts on his path to the cucumbers and hope that that will deter him. Sure it will! Today there will probably be fifty squirrels on the porch, clammering for more nuts and munching away on cucumbers while they wait. I have tried many times to outthink a squirrel and have never been successful. The only remedy for a squirrel infestation is a great big hawk. I hope that there are none in the neighborhood as I am very fond of watching the little darlings go about their business. Perhaps a little walnut vinagrette would go well on the cucumbers. That might keep them away or at least aid their digestion.

No comments: