Thursday, August 19, 2010

Before Sunrise

Each morning I awaken before the Sun rises. I have one or two strong cups of coffee and watch the horizon begin to brighten and the bats begin their journey home. A freight train passes through town about that time each morning. The lonesomeness of its call reminds me of when I worked in Texas and was so effected by the lonesome cry of a train passing through town. I was far away from home and missed it so.
What did people do before there was coffee for the morning? We all owe much to that Ethiopian goat herder. It seems to sharpen the mind and stimulate the body.
Speaking of sharpening the mind, yesterday I drew another one of my blanks. There was something that I should have easily remembered and could not bring to mind. I told myself that this situation was ridiculous and sat and dug through my mind. It was not easy as the thing that I was trying to remember was flitting ahead of my search and eluding the tendrils I was casting forth to grasp it. I dug and I dug and lo and behold I reached out mentally and grabbed it by the foot. It just flickered into my grasp like a fidditch. I had done it.
I have lately just let such a situation, and there has been more than one, go and told myself not to worry about it. This time I said enough is enough and began digging. It is reassuring to know that the capacity for recall is still there if enough diligence is applied. The formula for voltage drop on co-axial cable is gone forever but it is pleasant to inventory so many of the memories associated with my children. I didn't do much with my life but I was a Daddy! It is enough.

No comments: