Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Birdless

Last night I watched a program about Leonard Cohen. I listened to him sing "Bird on a Wire". It was still on my mind this morning and I came to a sad realization. There have been no birds in the tree out front for several days. There were flocks of them before, all busily feeding on the cedar berries in that enormous tree.
Where have they gone? Is it the new cold weather that has them huddled away somewhere or has some tragedy struck them? I miss them. Now only the squirrel is grazing over the cedar fields, causing the branches to droop as he moves from one to the other, constantly stopping to look up, fearing talons from above. Humans and squirrels, we both look up to find salvation. We look up, like Tevya, to address salvation. The squirrel looks up to avoid destruction and that is his salvation. It is an interesting contradiction to me that requires further thought. I wonder what the squirrel thinks.
I realize that I might be becoming a little crazy over the birds. So the squirrel and I have something in common. We are both thinking about nuts.

No comments: