Friday, February 19, 2010

Explicative!!!

For the last two evenings I waded in the lees of life. I ended up watching television. It usually starts with eating dinner. It is lonely to eat by yourself so I go into the living (?) room and turn on the cyclops in the corner.
I watched two episodes of Two and a Half Men. It seems odd to like that show because I never really liked The Odd Couple. The clicker makes television more appealing as I can switch from program to program from the couch. As I was bouncing from show to show I frequently encountered the Winter Olympics and the nightly news. Stargate and Frasier took most of my attention but I frequently encountered commentary criticising the red-headed boy that won the snowboard contest. I had watched his competition and was amazed that a human being could do those things. He had the gold medal in his pocket before he made his last run but went all out on the last run and was spectacular. It reminded me of Ted Williams in his last game of the season when he was technically batting over .400 before the game but played anyway.
Snowboarders evidently have acquired a reputation as being a tad irreverant. Good for them! No one gives them roses when they finish their performance. Would you rather see your son looping through the air and wisecracking at the finish or watch him competing in Men's (?) figure skating? Would you rather see your son in baggy pants, hurtling through the air in death defying loops or watch him wearing a hat of roses because he won a medal in Pixie Baseball? The snowboarders are the new American Heroes.
Back to the criticism. The boy evidently used the "F" word after he won. Used it once and the news media are aghast at that incident. The news media did not comment on all of the losers sitting around going "F", "F", "F". If he President doesn't give that boy some sort of recognition, there is something wrong in America. No award should be given to the two man Luge competitors. There is something wrong with that sport. "Oh, go through the bumps again Maurice!".
O f course I know that the President may not have the time to recognize the boy's achievement. The President is dealing with the health care issue and he is sitting in the Oval Office going "F", "F", "F".

No comments: