Thursday, February 4, 2010

Honk

Yesterday morning the dearth of birds ceased. As I was looking out of the window, two Vees of geese flew over headed North. Two crows were engaged in an aerial ballet and dogfight. I went for a small walk and the weather has mediated, mediated not startlingly changed.
The geese must be headed North to their nesting grounds. The crows might have been males contesting a nesting area in anticipation of the arrival of females. Do the birds know more than the groundhog does? I know that it is February in New England and not a good time to try and keep eggs warm, or toes for that matter. Still, there is always the promise of Spring in the heart of a New Englander. I have started some seedlings, I will wait a month before starting the tomatoes, and will soon be overrun with herbs and pepper plants. Many of the seeds came from Pittsburgh over a year ago and still are viable.
I don't know where or how I will be come Spring but I will probably be here , so the plants will be started. Planning, what a wasted use of energy.

No comments: