Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Two revelations

It is not often that I get two revelations in one day. Last night I read two. They were written by different authors but in the same tone. Who would have ever guessed that Robert Frost and Garrison Keillor had anything in common? Why two? I always have three or four books partially read lying open beside the bed. Before I go to sleep and if I awake during the night, I read what strikes me at the moment. Frost's poem was "The Masque of Reason". It is about Job and God and I am sure it could be on Prairie Home Companion if they could get Gloria Steinem to narrate it. The Keillor book is "Liberty" and I recommend it to any man over sixty. It has the same theme as "Ethan Frome" but is in a lighter and more contemporary vein. Both reveal how life is what happens while you are making other plans. Things will work out somehow, there is just no rhyme or reason to what happens in life. Just don't mess with a diety with an agenda or a woman with a revolver.

No comments: