Monday, December 22, 2008

An old friend

I awoke early this morning and looked outside to see that the snow had stopped falling. The sky was clear and dark but the stars seemed to have used this time to recharge their batteries.
Yesterday a question from one of my daughters led me to the volume of Robert Frost's poems. That volume was a birthday gift from my eldest daughter in 1999. I spent some time looking for the answer to the question and eventually found it. There I was with much to do and the volume of Frost in my hand. The to do is still to be done and I spent the day reading the thoughts of an old friend. I chuckled when I noticed that I again skipped over "Death of the Hired Hand" as I have done since I read it in high school. There is just to much to consider in that poem. I remember the darkness that I felt when I first read it. That was when I was young and wanted no part of such thoughts. Now that I am older, there are kinder facets to its theme and life has shown the relevance of how the harshness of expediency can be tempered by tenderness and human compassion. I will have to re-read it as I probably don't remember all of its message. The wall of pseudo-knowledge that I have built up around me must come down. There is more to life than tidbits of esoteric knowledge. There is something about a wall. As the new year begins today, perhaps a new outlook on living will come also. There is hope (when I addressed the wall I almost started off on a tangent about the Minoans but I stopped and thought about what I had just said and I didn't.). The Minoans will remain my own personal pleasure but that volume of Frost that came from a heart that truly understands what is important to me, will remain my own personal treasure!

No comments: