Monday, October 13, 2008

What a glorious morning. The air is cool and dry, the mosquitos are nowhere to be found, and the coffee is hot and dark. I was up before sunrise and watched the dawning of the new day from the porch. As the light slowly grew I became aware of the treat that was coming and waited in slow anticipation. Then it happened, the first sunbeams broke through and the glory of the maple trees came to life. The colors of the leaves abandoned their muted glow and burst into vibrancy. The awe of the color of the maples and the sweetness that can come from them if one is willing to wait for the season more than compensate for their lack of an overt demonstration of fruit. Like everything in life, "Two outta three ain't bad!". The little helicopters are nice also and the way that you can split them and stick them on your nose.
Before I got up, I lay awake for a time wondering about the difference between hopes and dreams. Dreams are things that are probably never going to happen. Hopes are dreams that we have while we are awake. I have a dream that I have had for many years. It has not happened and did not happen yesterday. I hope that it will happen today. I am physically getting by, I am financially getting by, but my dream has not happened. I hope that it will happen today but "Two outta three ain't bad.".
I thought of the thanks that I offer each night before I go to sleep. "Thank you for freedom from pain. Thank you for a full belly. Thank you for a warm place to sleep.". Three out of three is good too.

No comments: