Sunday, October 26, 2008

FIX-IT
Yesterday was a wonderful day for walking. The Sun was shining, the air was the same temperature as me, and the leaves accented each footstep with a pleasing crunch. The palette of the maples, with its reds and oranges and purples and greens and yellows and browns sang of the glory of New England in the Fall. I stopped by the waterfall to feel the moisture in its breath and listen to the laughter in its voice.
Unfortunately it was also a good time for thinking. The other night I watched a comedy show that had a man that was supposed to be a financial expert. He was asked what he thought that the government should do about the financial crisis. He said "FIX IT, FIX IT, FIX IT!".
I started thinking about fix-it. Ever since I was eighteen, I have been involved with FIX-IT. As an electrician, as an electronics repairman, as a telephone technician, as a roofer, as a homeowner, as a Father, and as a husband, the demand has always been FIX-IT! I feel that I succeeded in all except the last. At the waterfall the thought exploded in my mind "How can I fix it when I am the one that broke it?". The one that broke something is not the resource to go to when it is time to fix something. Perhaps it is time for the Democrats to take over. A change of captains and venue is sometimes the only answer. It has been in my experience.
So much for the regrets of the past. Today will be roast chicken, mashed potatoes, string beans, and squash. There is also the friendliest bottle of Sauvigon Blanc out there for the sauce. It is a very large bottle and I only need about one half cup for the sauce. I wonder what will happen to the rest during the two and one half hours that I am waiting for the chicken to cook. HMMMM? I like cooking with wine very much, I like wining with cooking even more.

No comments: