Tuesday, October 28, 2008

"And rain on me.".

Yesterday, just barely yesterday as I am up so early having already gotten eight hours sleep, was spaghetti sauce and sausages. The sauce came out fine even though I forgot to put the anchovies in it. A full head of garlic and some red wine ensured that the taste was pleasing. The parmesan rinds provide enough MSG to compensate for the lack of anchovies.
It was raining while I was assembling the sauce but it had stopped by the time that the simmering had started. As the sauce has to simmer for six hours, it looked like a good time for a walk. So the umbrella and I went for a stroll. The weather was cool but not uncomfortably so. When I decided that I had walked far enough, I headed back to where I live. The rain tried to start again but resolved itself into an almost liquid mist. I was going to put up the umbrella but the mist felt so pleasant that I just kept walking. It was like being at the seashore in the very early morning. When I got home I was DAMP! Change to dry clothes, put on warm socks and slippers, fry up the sausages, and wait three hours for the sauce. HMMM, what's that over on the counter? A very large bottle of Burgundy that has already been opened! Out came Stephen Hawking's book, out came a wine glass, and out came the sniffles. I guess that I am past the age where I can go walking in the rain with no side effects. So from now on it will have to be rain on the street, rain on the tree, rain on the sea but no rain on me.
A big dish of bucatini and sauce and sausages later, it was time for a nap. The nap lasted until one o'clock this morning. The good news is that it was another day of no T.V..
Outside there are rumblings of thunder and it will be a long while until daybreak. When it gets light I will go walking. It is too enjoyable to be forestalled by a few sniffles. I still have five quarts of sauce to revel in. Perhaps I will need some more Burgundy. Port may be a better choice for such a day but port has proven itself stronger than I am. Port and peaches yes, port and spaghetti, a sacrilege.
Sacrilege, the word reminds me of an old Catholic adage. "Abortion is a sacrilege. If men had the babies, abortion would be a sacrement.".

1 comment:

Kristen said...

Sounds like a great day, except for the sniffles. I hope it doesn't get worse than that! At least today is dry and sunny, but COLD!