Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Soup's On

Sunday was a banner day. My darling daughter and her wonderful husband and my amazing grandson came for a visit. They brought lingonberries!!! We had a nice meal, my grandson complimented on the Swedish meatballs and ate quite a few noodles. There was cake that was a bit too rich. We walked to a park where my grandson displayed an amazing agility climbing and mastering an assortment of challenging obstacles.
When we left the park there was no whining or crying about the fact that the outing was over. He never seems to whine or cry about anything. He is so interested in everything that goes on about him that I am sure he looks forward to the next surprise that life offers him. This is a credit to his Mother and Father for they seem to have the same attitude about life. They don't complain or moan about anything and they gratefully don't seem to gossip about anything. I especially appreciate that because gossip is something that really irritates me. There are enough problems in our lives without commenting on the problems or perturbations of the neighbors. It is something that I admire about each of my daughters. They just get on with the business of living and look for the pleasant little flowers we find along the path of life instead of dwelling upon the thorns.
Yesterday I made soup and, lo and behold, it was actually edible! It is the first time that I have made soup that I actually liked. Homemade soup is usually not very good. The only really good one that I can remember was one that a lost love made with new potatoes and leeks and cream and butter. The soup that I made was not from a recipe. I just emptied all of the vegetables from the refrigerator into a pot, put in baby lima beans, onions, cabbage, tomatoes, potatoes. corn, peas, and beef broth. The addition of kielbasa may have made a difference as I usually don't puy any salt into the soup. Some leftover cheese rinds and olive oil went in and then a blessing of soy sauce as I remembered the words of another lost love. "Kissing a man without a moustache is like a soup without salt.".
Cheese, bread, and soup, life is good. I don't think that I can ever serve such a soup to my grandson as he is not very vegetable prone.

1 comment:

Kristen said...

He is a good boy, but the offering of ice cream certainly helped cut down on the whining when leaving the park. :-)

We had a great time. Thank you, Dad!