Sunday, November 15, 2009

VIP

The most recent comment has prompted this post. Grandfathers can be tricky. They spent a long time being Fathers and had to learn something. They especially have to be tricky when they have a VIP (Very Intelligent Person) to deal with. I have been through this scenario three times. Each time was remarkably different but each time I learned something. It is easy for me with R because I do not bear the burden of his future. I do not have to worry that if he eats that Snickers bar, he will not go to Harvard or his teeth will all fall out. He is a very VIP and will find ways around rules set in cement. He is also a boy and I understand a little bit about boys. I have been in the crucible three times and still don't understand girls, except for the fact that the four that I experienced were all much smarter than me (not very hard to be). Boys are easy, there is not a whole lot of thinking going on in their lives. Everything is black or white, yes or no, easy or let someone else do it. Therefore they are very susceptible to Tricky! Girls however are full of thinking. The wheels of their minds are constantly turning. They consider the nuances of every situation and how it might affect them. This necessitates the use of Very Tricky. If a Grandfather turns Very Tricky loose on a boy, the boy has no hope. It is a joy to watch R grow and learn the ways of the world. There are three more boys that I would like to introduce to Foxy Grandfather (thank you Vonnegaught) but that remains to be seen if it will ever happen.
By the way Sweetheart, you only picked up on one Tricky Grandfather item. You missed the other two but they will remain a mystery forever.
If you have ever watched Two and a Half Men, I am Alan. My Brother Paul is Uncle Charlie personified. If R is ever exposed to Uncle Paul, he will end up wearing a Nascar jacket and dreaming of horsepower. He would also end up as a very sweet and caring person but you and A seem to have already taken care of the latter two.

No comments: