Sunday, May 24, 2009

Sima II

The Sima came out pretty good. It has a sweet lemonish tang to it and some mouth feel. It also has a bit of a kick to it. Yesterday was beef stir-fry with noodles, Sima, and a handful of Ghiradelli bittersweet chips.
I finally got around to doing some transplanting yesterday. I have many containers of herbs. The sage is doing nicely, so is the parsley and the dill. Today will be more transplanting as the many tomato seedlings need a new home, so do the peppers. I have forgotten which peppers are which but they will all have a new home.
I got permission from the lady next-door to dig up a small portion of her lawn to plant a garden. She is 91 years old and very sweet. She is alert and active and has quite a sense of humor. She still drives and gardens and she likes pickled herring. I wonder if there is a menhaden run in the local river. If there is, it should soon. I think that menhaden are herring and I have a net. The net has rather larger holes in it which would only retain larger herring and that bodes ill for pickled herring as the large pieces make you gag. There is a nice pickled herring at the local supermarket and if I shop this week I will get the neighbor some.
I did not plant leeks this year. Every year I tell myself that I am going to plant leeks, as they are quite expensive in the market, and every year I consider the work that they entail and I don't plant them. The market has them and it is easier to buy them. The bottoms are great for any dish and the tops are great for stock.
I have gotten into a cycle of getting up at 2 A.M. and going to bed at 6 P.M. and I can't seem to break it. I enjoy watching the sunrise from the porch and lying down while the gentle summer breezes flow into the bedroom window. Maybe there is no reason to break the cycle.
Next week I will turn sixty-four. No male in my family has ever made it to sixty-four. I am looking forward to it.

1 comment:

shaun said...

Enjoy sixty four,
there are many who never make it. Hope you are doing well.
Peace