Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Magic

Sunday I was visited by three very wise people. Not only was it a joy to see their smiling healthy faces but they came bearing gifts. I don't know how they picked out the gifts but it is as if they have a catalogue of things that I like.
There was a french Army mug, which I am still chuckling over, pesto, tortellinis, pesto, chocolate, and miracle of miracles, real balsamic vinegar! It wasn't the supermarket vinegar but it was the kind that you need a co-signer to purchase, investment grade balsamic vinegar. The kind that is dark and smooth and sweet. Oh the dishes that will be complimented by this magic elixir.
It was such a joy to see them again. My darling daughter with her wit and candor and compassion and beauty and intelligence and above all common sense. She still has regard for a gap toothed, gray bearded, stinky old man just because he is her father. My son-in-law, with his quiet reserve, his piercing intelligence, and his interest in everything around him. My grandson, with his joy of living, his tested honesty, his politeness, and his adoption of his parent's way of life, and their gentleness. It was a perfect day.
There is a storm coming. A big whopper of a storm. I have enough supplies to last me at least a week. I have to go out today for just a few minutes and then I will hunker down and await the glory of a Winter blizzard. As long as the power holds out, I will cook and clean and read and enjoy the storm. All of the things that make life enjoyable will be here, along with some great vinegar.
I saw the Bluebird again yesterday. I hope that it fares well in the coming tempest. I will put out more seeds after the storm has passed.

No comments: