Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Since we've no place to go ....

Yesterday's storm was no big deal. It snowed but it was a very pleasant snow. I went for a walk and was surprised at the havoc it was causing. The trouble seemed to be with four wheel drive vehicles. Some of the people that have them don't seem to realize that they too have to slow down in a snowstorm. Four wheel drive doesn't mean four wheel stop.
As I was walking, several people pulled over and asked if I needed a ride. This is that kind of town. They looked a bit puzzled when I said no, that I was just out for a walk. The walk was a bit tricky as there is a layer of ice under the snow. I just slowed down as two foot drive does not mean two foot stop.
The weather forecast is for a doozey of a storm today. I have plenty of supplies and have no need to go out today. As long as the power holds out I will be as snug as the proverbial bug. If the power doesn't hold out, I have lots of sweaters and candles and flashlight batteries. The forecast is for snow and ice. Snow is not a problem for New England but ice can be. I remember the Blizzard of 78. I made it into work and had to stay there several days. The highways were clear but the company that I worked for wouldn't let anyone go home. We got paid triple time for all of the hours that we were there. The check was two feet long. We used the money to purchase a four wheel drive vehicle. We later learned that if the car in front of you is stuck it doesn't matter how many wheel drives you have, you are going nowhere.
The only thing that I am missing is a fireplace. A fire is so delightful and if you've no place to go,..........

No comments: